School Security Camera & Video Surveillance Systems
Safeguarding the well being of all students and staff is a primary concern for schools today. A properly installed system of school security cameras is an important tool for ensuring safety on school grounds. Schools facing challenges such as violence or vandalism on campus find school security cameras an indispensable aid to identifying and resolving issues as they arise.
Benefits of School Video Surveillance
Ease of Installation – Most modern security camera systems utilize IP cameras, which can be either wired or wireless over a computer network. Unlike older analog CCTV systems, IP cameras can be installed by the user and re-configured to fit changing needs. They also allow you to broadcast footage over the internet, making it easy for you to monitor your school surveillance cameras at any time.
Safety – Not only do school security cameras help you maintain safety around your campus, they also discourage misbehavior. Conspicuously placed school surveillance cameras have been shown to reduce threats of violence and vandalism drastically.
Visitor monitoring – One problem many schools continually struggle with is proper access control for visitors. By implementing school security cameras at entrance doors, you can help your administrative staff monitor visitors and make sure they are properly signed in, while still allowing your students to move freely around the campus.
School Security Cameras - risks and restrictions
Privacy – Protect the privacy of your students and staff by implementing school surveillance cameras in public areas like cafeterias, administrative offices, gymnasiums and outdoor areas like playgrounds and sports fields. Public surveillance in the US is is still controversial – check with school board guidelines and municipal laws before installing and making students captive targets of surveillance.
Vandalism/tampering - While school surveillance cameras are generally beneficial, systems are constantly under risk of vandalism/breaking. Cameras do not guarantee security and cannot be seen as a failsafe. Students and staff should remain diligent of their security and act responsibly during an emergency.
Things to Consider Before Installing school video surveillance
There are many factors to consider when installing your school security camera system. Consider the following factors when setting up your security cameras:
- What do you consider to be your most pressing security threat?
- What kind of security do you currently have in place?
- Does your school district have security protocol that you must follow?
- Are there problems with crime and violence in your surrounding area?
- Have you ever wished that you caught a specific incident on camera?
- Are there areas in your school where students congregate that have caused problems? (eg : vandalism in Schoolyards, on Lockers, etc)?
School Surveillance Cameras - Best Practices for Setup
- Cameras mounted near main entrances and in administrative offices can help you record each visitor as they enter and exit your school. Cameras near exits can also help reduce truancy.
- Fixed cameras can be strategically placed in order to protect valuables like computers, sound equipment, trophies and books.
- Outdoor surveillance cameras in parking lots can help protect older students and staff when leaving school late or arriving early. These cameras can also discourage break-ins and vandalism during school hours.